As I fly back after a long Thanksgiving weekend, I feel inspired to post not about the food (though there was plenty!) but about what I’m thankful for.
I spent four wonderful days with my future in-laws, meeting dozens of new faces and old. The entire time, I was embraced and surrounded by love.
With each new family member I meet, from all sides and branches, I’ve felt comfortable immediately. And I recognize that I have something special in our connection, something not to be taken for granted.
I’ve experienced my share of bad people – people that hold selfish motives or just can’t share in mutual joy.
And I’ve come far enough to know that life is too short to have negative people in your life.
With that said, here’s what I’m thankful for this year:
1. My health. I’ve experienced minor ruts before. It just makes me that much more appreciative of being healthy. I’m learning to take care of myself – my oxygen mask first.
2. My parents. Specifically their hands off and trusting approach to my relationship, career, and wedding prep this year. We’ve grown closer as we grow into our adult relationship.
3. My partner in life. This was the year of growth and change. It wasn’t easy all the time, but we set and continue to set the strongest foundation possible for continued growth and commitment.
4. My new extended family. Though we come from quite different customs (hugs and kisses was a learned thing for me!) we share the common language of love and acceptance. Most importantly, we prioritize love above all.
5. Change. This was a year of change. My relationship, my career, and now an upcoming move. It doesn’t come easy, but I remind myself that change is the one constant, and it leads to better things.